The first (and biggest) Star Destroyer project
first time I tried this project was 1981. It involved a lot of
cardboard, masking tape and several precariously wired 60 watt light
bulbs. Probably a good thing it didn't make it too far.
few short years later, I was ready to try it again. Although I've
recently played around modifying models, this is my first serious
attempt at a scratch build.
basic frame was initially scaled and tested using poster board. Once I
was happy with the shape, the poster board was used as templates to cut
out the wood. This would have been around early November, 2004
More support added to the ribs and a piece of styrene cut and laid out. (I bought two 4x8 sheets of styrene for the project)
The underside roughed in.
Once the bottom was glued to the frame, the Main Hanger was the first section I started to detail.
I started adding the lights, the Main Hanger has eight LED's providing indirect light. The rest are fiber optics.
A closer look.
then roughed in the engine area and did a lighting test. The smaller
thrusters are LED's and will always be lit. The primary thrusters are
made out of flashlight parts, using the reflector base to provide a wide
and bright spill. These can be turned on and off while leaving the rest
of the ship lit.
wiring and fiber runs. The side panels are made up of battleship parts,
I built a 12" master, struck a mold then cast resin duplicates. After
gluing the resin pieces in place, I was able to super detail and
disguise the replicating pattern.
A closer look at the side panel.
detail shot, the launch bay was later detailed and tiny TIE fighters
added (8 hanging from above, two on deck and ready to go)
The underside with side panels attached.
Starting on the top.
Starting to rough in the super structure. (March 14, 2005)
The Super Structure finally in place ... just a tiny bit of detailing left to do ...!
... and about a thousand more fiber stands.
I've had a few requests to see the tiny TIE fighters.
a few busy weeks I've been able to get back to work. Starting to detail
the Super Structure has only proven how daunting this stage is going to
be. It's also become clear that I'm going to need to make adjustments
to the scale of the upper two levels.
spent the last week building the cannons. I created a master, molded it
then made eight duplicates. To prevent breakage, the cannon barrels are
metal. I snipped off the ends of needles and placed them in the mold
before pouring the resin. The studio model has four barrels on each
cannon, I reduced it to three due to the smaller scale. (It should be
noted that the actual cannons are not glued down yet, they should sit
straighter once I'm ready to affix them.)
back to work! I spent about a week looking her over, trying to
figure out where I left off and how to get back into it. This
project started off as my first scratch build, but now that I have three
24" versions under my belt, it will finish as my fourth. I've
found quite a few things that I did that I would do drastically
different now. I've gone back and corrected whatever I could, but
will need to live with a few things. Mostly issues with
symmetry. Live and learn.
chose to start with the engine area. I rebuilt the secondary
engines and the housings, have rebuilt the outer ring of the primary
engines to get a more true circle.
the rest of the engine area structures were complete I start adding the
detail layers. So far, the center engine is as far as I've
September 2, 2007
(Had to use those MPC Falcon Landing Pads somewhere!)
September 9, 2007
September 23, 2007
I finally completed the rear engine area and am ready to start back into the super structure.
The macro lens setting makes the opening look bigger than in actually is.
The main engines aren't aligned yet, I've decided to replace the tungsten bulbs with LEDs.
September 30, 2007
doing the three 24" versions and coming back to this project, I decided
that the proportions of my super structure were off. I spent much
of the week correcting and rebuilding each level.
Bridge still looks a little too big, but once the "shelving" is added
to the super structure, it will widen it out and hopefully bring
the bridge down to scale.
to pencil in the panel lines to be scribed. i slow and tedious
process that will probably make up most of the progress this coming
week. It's a boring chore, but it really pays off.
October 10, 2007
Finally finished the hull etching. Tedious, but it's done!
December 16, 2007
November 25, 2007
November 18, 2007
has been slow, I've had a few "real life" distractions in past few
weeks. The LED's haven't been color corrected yet, so are still
burning too bright and too blue.
November 4, 2007
October 30, 2007
Putting the "shelving" in.
October 22, 2007
squares and shapes glued all over the surface, more them probably ended
up lost in the carpet, but the upper hull should be just about
complete, now on to the super structure.
The actual guns aren't in place, they won't go in until I'm ready to paint.