Skip to main content

The Star Destroyer Project

And other modeling projects

Home
48" Scratch Build
24" Commission #1
24" Commission #2
24" Commission #3
X-Wing Fighter
Fine Molds Falcon
Blockade Runner
B-Wing Fighter
Super Star Destroyer
Super Star Destroyer x4
36" Resin Star Destroyer
Slave-1
Radiant
Republic Star Destroyer
Jawa Sandcrawler
BSG Viper
"Crashdown" Viper
Space: 1999 Eagles
Space: 1999 War Hawk
Moonraker Space Shuttle
Site Map
FAQs
About Me
Contact Us
"UFO" Interceptors
X-Wings x4
SSD 3
Randy Cooper Star Destroy
Snow Speeders
E11 Blaster
Imperial Walker
Imperial Walkers
aka AT-ATs


I've always has a soft spot for these guys.  As impressive as the studio scale models are, I wanted a little more "wow" factor for my display pieces, so I've doubled the scale.





May 27, 2017


She can stand!  With the legs attached and and secured, it was time to
attach the feet and flip her over.  No one could be more surprised (and relieved)
 than myself that she stood on her own!











May 5, 2017


Feet!  I thought myself to (barely) use Tinkercad and drew up a foot.
  After 18 hours at a local print shop, I had my prototype:




After an application of XTC-3d from Smooth On, and some light sanding, the layer lines were gone.  With
the surface now smooth, I was able to scribe the panel lines and make a clean mold. 
Then it was time to pour a lot of resin.





April 16, 2017


The very last underbelly shot, I promise! The main body is complete, primed and ready for paint. What flaws remain I will need to own and learn to live with. I've been working on the legs and am getting very anxious to see whether my calculations are sound and she actually stands on her own.



















March 13, 2017

I'm pretty happy with the rear turbine, especially considering this is the first time I've touched a lathe since Close Encounters was #1 at the box office. I just need to add the asymmetrical parts and then get a good molding.





February 13, 2017

Guns!









February 5, 2017


The underbelly is finally done, and work is moving forward on two other fronts:


I took a few liberties with my references just to fill in some spaces that would
have never been seen on screen but looked empty to the eye






According to my references, the original models took less time trying
 to disguise greeblies under here. I followed suit by recreating military
jerry cans in the right scale, as well as a few naval gun turrets


I've begun work on the main guns. I was going to do these last, but have
 grown tired of looking at toothless Walkers


I've also begun sculpting the turbines. I sure would be easier if someone
offered a Naval jet engine kit in this scale.


The lower skirt is in place, completing the profile



December 10, 2016


I took a short hiatus from this project to get a few things done, and that mushroomed into an embarrassing amount of time. But, back at it and under full steam.


I've completed the underbelly structure and am ready to start detailing. This is the area where I'm most likely to take some liberties, as detailed underside references are sparse. But more importantly the detail of the originals were adequate for screen, a little more would help a static display piece.







Just for a feel of scale



I was a little front heavy and needed to add some junk to the trunk. Three

pound dumbbells did the trick




April 24, 2016


I have been embarrassingly neglectful of doing updates

























December 26, 2015


Cockpits are done! I ended up using over-the-counter action figures, so they're a little larger than they should be, but not distractionally so (to my eye)










The AT-AT Commander action figure seems to be rare and is fetching 3-4x's as
much on eBay as others, so I decided to modify the much cheaper "common" officer.


After awhile I started to feel like a Civil War surgeon

 

December 13, 2015


Starting the heads.  I hadn't originally planned to do much inside, but the
view ports are big enough that I'll need a basic cockpit in there.




Finding the right "ear" dome was a chore. I finally found a stick-on, wide angle rear
view mirror at an auto parts store that was the exact size and shape I needed.
After removing the frame and adjusting the variable thickness of the side walls,
I made a mold and started pouring resin.




They'll be about 48 inches from nose to tail.



November 8, 2015


The basic hull.  Life would be much easier if the sides were flat and all the angles
squared, but there's a lot more roundness to this thing than initially meets the eye.





Getting all 78 of these cutouts uniform was a major chore, a laser cutter
 would come in handy.



Putting the armor plating into place.


Scribing the panel lines.  Luke is just a tiny bit too big, dang it,