Skip to main content

The Star Destroyer Project

And other modeling projects

Home
48" Scratch Build
24" Commission #1
24" Commission #2
24" Commission #3
X-Wing Fighter
Fine Molds Falcon
Blockade Runner
B-Wing Fighter
Super Star Destroyer
Super Star Destroyer x4
36" Resin Star Destroyer
Slave-1
Radiant
Republic Star Destroyer
Jawa Sandcrawler
BSG Viper
"Crashdown" Viper
Space: 1999 Eagles
Space: 1999 War Hawk
Moonraker Space Shuttle
Site Map
FAQs
About Me
Contact Us
"UFO" Interceptors
X-Wings x4
SSD 3
Randy Cooper Star Destroy
Snow Speeders
E11 Blaster
Imperial Walker

More 24" Star Destroyers

I've been on a break from these guys for awhile, but have continued to get requests to do more.  Most of this batch have been sold, but I still have a couple left.  Please email me if you are interested in getting in on this build. (Given the amount of backup i currently have, it will be several years before more of these are made)

(Click on the pictures to see Hi-Res link)




































July 18. 2013

I completely forgot to brag about how things went at Wonderfest!







May
17
, 2013

On the Way to Wonderfest in the morning!  As of Monday I had to break one away from the fleet and focus on it alone in order to have it ready.  The rest should be finished by next weekend.  If you happen to be going to Wonderfest, be sure to look for this one at the display table.  Also please feel free to contact me, I should be milling around somewhere!















May 6, 2013

The engine deck primed and ready for the main bells to be attached




April 28, 2013

They're getting close to completion.  All construction is finished, I've been working on the rear engine deck all weekend and hope to have it finished by the end of the week.  At that point I only have one more pass of detail, mostly on the upper level rooftops of the super structure and the neck.

Here's one last peek at the inside just before sealing the upper and lower hulls.  I always burn the LEDs for at least 24 hours before closing the model up, I've found that if one is going to fail, it usually does fairly early.


The lights burning bright after the hull has been closed.  The fiber optic strands will be cut flush after painting.  The bridge is not actually attached at this point, it's easier to work on the rear without worrying about the bridge every time I flip it over.


A tighter look at the bridge.  The deflector dooms are still awaiting detail.

The rear deck thus far.



March 17, 2013

I've been dreading detailing the sides of the Super Structure since this project began.  They are done, and the end is now in sight.  I am currently running the fiber optics to the Super Structure and have started the detailing of the bridge.  Once the fiber is done, I will seal up the the hull and finish the detail along the seams. 

The engine deck looms, but is not as work intensive as it would appear.







September 30, 2012

I've been doing a lot of the more tedious, time consuming work where the progress doesn't seem exciting enough to merit an update.  I should probably be better about posting updates regardless!


The top hulls have been etched and "dimpled".  I've constructed and detailed the small
structure leading into the main Super Structure, done the first round of detailing and run the
Fiber Optics on the first level.




Someone over at www.StarShipModeler.com asked about ways to secure the Fiber Optics. 
Standard styrene cement and CA glues will melt the fiber.  I use a liquid latex found in the
model railroad section of my local hobby shop.  It brushes on and holds everything in place
nicely once dry. 




With the top secure in place, I can now look for and correct any light leakage and do
another round of detail.  As always, the Fiber is left untrimmed until after painting.





July 22, 2012

The top is all roughed in and the "shelving is place.  Next up is etching the top hull and then
 let the details begin!








April 14, 2012


I've installed the electrical system, lower hull lighting and rune the fiber in one of five. 





The bottom all lit up.





Detailing the brim trenches is a time consuming process, but really give the model a nice sense of scale.


Putting the top hull on finally gives the model a third dimension and is an exciting time for me!






March 11, 2012

Lot's of random dimples and bumps. It's tough to find that line where it looks like you have enough, but stop before there are too many.  Also, the brim lip has now been detailed.


The brim lip. That 1/1000 U.S.S. Enterprise model I bought several years back is still paying for itself! (The naval, not starship variety)



March 4, 2012

Detail, detail detail.  I still have a few hundred random bump to place along the hull and the detailing of the outer lip, then it's time to flip her over and do the brim trenches.







February 27, 2012

Etching the lower hull in finally done.  It's a long, mind numbing process, and doing five just compounded the insanity.  I'm now detailing the surface, starting with the rear spine.



As much as a pain the etching is, it really adds a lot of depth and scale to the model. (I really need to get some paint on that Easter Egg.)



The "Sculpting a Galaxy" book is worth every penny.





February 7, 2012